The Live Well Community Market Program aims to improve and promote access to healthy foods throughout San Diego County by working with neighborhood markets to increase the availability of fresh and healthy products, redesign markets to promote healthy foods, and connect with community stakeholders to build a healthier food environment for all San Diego residents.
What We Do
We prioritize small markets that serve low-income shoppers.
Our current target neighborhoods within the City of San Diego are: Southeastern San Diego and Mid-City (primarily City Heights).
Countywide we target work in: National City, La Mesa, El Cajon, and Imperial Beach.
We work at no cost with each individual market owner or manager to create a set of achievable goals to help them:
- Attract new shoppers & increase shopper loyalty
- Successfully sell fresh & healthy foods
- Improve market layout & design
- Increase profit margin
We assess each market to determine which services will be of most benefit. Some of our services include:
- Marketing & merchandising
- Promote & increase demand for healthy, fresh foods
- Market design & layout support
- Connection to local produce growers & distributors
- Promote CalFresh EBT & WIC
- Produce handling & storage training
- Promotional events
- Connection with community stakeholders
- Connection to local financing, grant opportunities, and rebate programs for market improvements