The Center for Community Health is a multidisciplinary group of professional physicians, researchers, evaluators and public health and community outreach educators.
We are dedicated to promoting evidence-based health practices at a community level.
Our Center promotes optimal health in all populations through interventions that target chronic disease and obesity prevention.
Translation of clinical research to public health policy and services into community-based outreach initiatives through education.
Research and Evaluation
Social, environmental and biological determinants of childhood obesity and chronic disease.
Collective impact framework and multi-sector approach to promoting healthy communities locally, state-wide, nationally and internationally.
In-person and web-based training and technical assistance on a wide range of health equity topics.
- Phil Nader, MD Founder
- Sheila Gahagan, MD, MPH Division Chief
- Howard Taras, MD Professor of Pediatrics
- Kyung (Kay) Rhee, MD, MSc, MA Pediatric Hospitalist
- Patricia L. East, PhD Research Scientist
- Michelle Zive, MS, RD, PhD Principal Investigator
- Blanca Meléndrez, MA Executive Director
- Ramón Hernandez, DrPH, MPH Associate Director
- Joe Prickitt, MS, RD Senior Director - Southern California Nutrition Incentive Program
- Aaron Kunst, MA Program Coordinator
- Amina Sheik Mohamed, MPH Director
- Christine B. Williams, MPH Research Associate
- Dan Bennett Communications Director
- D. Eastern Kang Sim, MPH, PhD Staff Research Assistant
- Danielle Ralleca Community Health Specialist
- Elizabeth Cooper, MPH Program Coordinator
- Elle Mari, MSc Director
- Elly Brown, MBA San Diego Food System Alliance Director
- Estela Blanco, MPH, MA Research Associate
- Kate Edra, MPH Program Coordinator
- Kate Mahoney Community Health Specialist
- Kelley (Thompson) Axelson, MPH Senior Manager
- Kussy Mackenzie, MSc Evaluation Specialist
- Jamie Moody, MS Program Director
- Lauren Barker, MPH, CPH Project Coordinator
- Meredith Petersen Program Coordinator
- Nehmo Hassan Program Coordinator
- Rachel Kramer Senior Manager
- Rahwa Weldeselase Community Engagement Coordinator
- Rasheedah Rashada Program Coordinator
- Shana Wright Bruno, MPH, CHES Program Manager
- Soledad Vela Acosta, MD, MS, PhD Director of Partnerships for Health Equity
- Suzanna Martinez, PhD, MS Researcher