The Live Well Community Market Program aims to improve and promote access to affordable healthy foods in San Diego County by working with small neighborhood markets to increase the availability of fresh produce inventory, redesign spaces to promote healthier options, and connect with community stakeholders to build a better food environment for all people in San Diego.
What We Do
We prioritize working with small, independently-owned food markets located in low-income neighborhoods throughout San Diego County.
We work at no cost with each individual market owner or manager to create a set of achievable goals to help them:
- Attract new shoppers & increase shopper loyalty
- Successfully sell fresh & healthy foods
- Improve market layout & design
- Increase profit margin
We assess each market to determine which services will be of most benefit. Some of our services include:
- Marketing & merchandising
- Promote & increase demand for healthy, fresh foods
- Market design & layout support
- Connection to local produce growers & distributors
- Promote CalFresh EBT & WIC
- Produce handling & storage training
- Promotional events
- Shopper market research to inform changes
- Connection to community stakeholders and free/low-cost business assistance such as: local financing, grant opportunities, and rebate programs for market improvements
- Support COVID-19 related efforts to adapt for continued safety, health, and financial viability.
This work supports Live Well San Diego, the County’s vision for a region that is Building Better Health, Living Safely, and Thriving. For CalFresh information, call 2-1-1. Funded by the USDA SNAP, an equal opportunity provider and employer. Visit www.calfreshhealthyliving.org for healthy tips.